BT reverse ptr records

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jun 27 23:52:02 UTC 2005

In article <d9op68$2mq8$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Brett Carr <brettcarr at ripe.net>
wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Barry Margolin wrote:
>
> > In article <d8kfmq$e0p$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "C" <c at co.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > > hope this is the best group to post this in
> > >
> > > i have just moved over our office to BT from easynet
> > >
> > > with easynet we had our dns setup so we could run a mail server from the
> > > office.   the domain had a sub domain 'mail.mydom.com' and easynet setup
> > > reverse record for this as well
> > >
> > > since moving to BT we have the same setup internally, however BT will not
> > > change their reverse dns ptr/in-addr records to match our domain and i am
> >
> > They should probably delegate the reverse DNS for your whole subnet to
> > your DNS servers.
> >
> > > worried that this will lead to mail being returned because the reverse
> > > lookup
> > > does not match the domain it comes from
> > >
> > > is this true and if so how can i get round this
> >
> > Yes, it's true.  I think BT is being ridiculous.  I can't believe that
> > an enterprise Internet connection would not include reverse DNS
> > delegation.
>
> BT Will do reverse delegation, well they certainly did it to us for a /24
> for the last company I worked at:

Perhaps they only do it for /24's and larger, i.e. they don't do RFC
2317 subnet delegation.  Or maybe they have different classes of
service, and the OP has a cheaper class that doesn't include reverse DNS
delegation.

BTW, did you realize you're resurrecting a thread that died out 2 weeks
ago?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA