two nameserver, two ip, one host problem.

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Nov 9 01:48:32 UTC 2005

In article <dkra6o$2pbt$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Glen Pakosch <glen.bind at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hello
> Here is Glen in the name of Sven trying to make the problem clearer.
>
> It is requested from us to have two nameservers for our ip's. We have just
> one (physical) server so the two nameservers have to run on the same
> machine.

The reason for requiring two nameservers is redundancy -- if one server
fails, the other will still be up.  Running two nameservers on the same
machine provides little redundancy.

Anyway, if you're just trying to provide the illusion of two machines,
you don't need to run two nameservers on the machine.  By default, BIND
will listen on all the machine's IP's.  So configure an IP alias on the
NIC, and don't bother with any listen-on options in the named.conf.  As
far as anyone will be able to tell, you have two nameservers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA