syncronizing 2 dns server (windows/linux)

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 05:05:27 UTC 2005

On Sunday 2005-September-25 22:55, Josh Hyles wrote:
> Thats my complaint.

My complaint is that it's hard to know what you're complaining about
when you have top-posted. :)

> There is PLENTY of docs, but they are in like 100 places.

How else could it be? You perhaps don't understand the free software
world. People work on software in areas of interest, loosely organise,
and give it away. Contributors come and go, look over the source, share
their ideas, and the best of those are usually accepted by the project
maintainers.

You should get out of that corporate mentality. Free software is not
about corporations, even where certain projects are sponsored by
commercial entities. Free software is about community. Diversity is a
feature, not a bug.

Many groups try to provide "umbrella" services to bring much of it
together into a cohesive whole. Try paying one of the big commercial
Linux distributors for support, and perhaps you will find things much
easier.

> The guy who listed the whole directory shows the problem
> right there. There should be ONE doc, not 10-20. It should be a
> single HTML or pdf or something with chapters and such.

Oh come on! This is ridiculous! HT stands for hypertext, and again,
that's a feature, not a bug. All you need to do is to load the main
page in your browser and it takes you anywhere you need to go.

FYI that main page is called "Bv9ARM.html". I will say that perhaps an
index.html would be a good idea, because then everyone would know where
to look (yeah, right.) But really, it didn't take me long to look over
the list of filenames and click that one.

> I do have the DNS & BIND book,
> even in PDF format, but I didn't find what I wanted to know in there.
> It just seems disorganized. Much like the rest of the linux

How might a community be organised? Is that possible? If I'm following
orders I don't feel like I'm part of a community.

> community. I don't mean that as a negative thing, I just think the
> reason windows is doing so well in terms of usability and shear

I don't see the usability advantage, which is why I have completely
given up on Windows. Sure, they use marketing muscle to inhibit
development of some hardware drivers, but this can usually be made a
non-issue by careful buying.

> number of users is because one company came together and made
> one(shitty) piece of software :-) This is totally OT, but my point

How many companies have you paid, like you paid MS? Novell and Red Hat
and others would surely love to have your business.

I haven't paid. A few petty donations here and there, but no, I have
done it through the freedom thing ... information is readily available
so you can build and maintain your computing systems. And I guess I do
pay in my way: I try to contribute something back by helping out.

> is, it would be nice for a couple how-to's to exist, or better docs.
> And if I've just stuck my foot in my mouth because I didn't read

The big fallacy here is that you're comparing apples and oranges. I
think if you spent money on Linux the same way you do on Windows you
would be making a more valid comparison.

Try OS X ... forget Linux, if you want a platform which is truly
supported by a vendor, and yet still has the advantages of free
software.

> something right, or there are good docs that I'm not seeing, then, I
> do apologize.

You're right about this being offtopic, so I apologise as well for
dragging it out, but it's such a common sentiment that I think it
should be addressed.

I think the root problem is that people come into the Unix world from
Windows, and they have absolutely no concept of how and why things
work. For goodness sake, they consider "Network Neighbourhood" a
diagnostic tool! Then they try to throw together complex systems which
require knowledge of other systems, and they're bewildered.

I look at the Bv9ARM and I see "good docs". Perhaps you don't. That
doesn't mean I'm right and you're wrong; merely that your needs are
different.

FWIW, I am a DOS/Windows refugee myself. It wasn't always easy. My
perspective is in looking back on those days of bewilderment and
frustration; I am thankful that now I tend to be more successful. :)
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header