Name resolution problem for bio.wss.bcentral.com

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Apr 26 12:08:07 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 01:49:59PM +0200,
 M V Ajay (vMoksha) <Ajay.MV at UCB-Group.com> wrote
 a message of 49 lines which said:

> I could see that bio.wss.bcentral.com is actually a CNAME for
> *.sharepoint.bcentral.com. I feel the connectivity issue is due to having '
> * ' in address record of the site.

Probably: it is not a legal host name.

> Having ' * ' in address records is accepted one?

In the DNS, yes. But I assume your software wants to connect to an
host and * is not accepted in host names.

I assume that *.sharepoint.bcentral.com is the wildcard in the
sharepoint.bcentral.com zone file and the people at wss.bcentral.com
did not understand that and blindly added it as the RHS of the CNAME.