Redirecting NXDOMAINS

Mark de Vries mark at asphyx.net
Wed Jun 14 19:47:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Dennis Skinner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have checked the ARM and the list archives, but I haven't been able to
> find out whether this is possible in bind.
>
> We would like to return a particular IP address instead of a negative
> response to DNS queries for non-existent sites.
>
> I know there may be some resistance to doing this from purists, but for
> a low-cost provider, any additional income we can generate by
> redirecting such requests to a search pages with ads that generate
> money, allows us to keep our costs low.
>
> I know several companies are charging for this service, but it seems
> such an easy modification can be done locally without having to pay the
> middleman.

http://golog.com/

Supposedly they will even give YOU money...

They have a terrible patch for bind that will change nxdomain resposes
(only) into responses with a single a record (if the name queried for
meets some additional conditions).

I think it's bad news but 'some ppl I know' expect some income from this
so we'll be subjecting a resonably large userbase to this crap soon :(

We'll see what breaks...

Regards,
Mark.