pop email issue

Wed Nov 29 00:05:38 UTC 2006

Steve,

I believe I'm right in saying you've had this problem for a while now; I
seem to remember talking to you a while back.
Telnetting to mail.okcca.net externally (from my server 84.45.66.158)
port 25 (SMTP) works fine:

telnet mail.okcca.net 25
Trying 204.87.111.225...
Connected to mail.okcca.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 Welcome to Qmail Toaster Ver. 1.3 smtp Server ESMTP

However, you cannot connect to the POP3 port on this server:

telnet mail.okcca.net 110
Trying 204.87.111.225...
telnet: connect to address 204.87.111.225: No route to host

This is the error usually seen when a firewall either on that box itself
or an intermediate router blocks the port.
Now, internally this may be a different story.

However, judging by what you're saying (the e-mail account in question
resides on your Exchange 2003 server) - you need to be connecting to
that machine, not mail.okcca.net.
The IP address of your Exchange 2003 is a private LAN address - that is,
not publicly accessible/routeable from the Net, therefore your phone
will probably need some kind of VPN into your own network to get to that
server (whereas if your laptop is already on your internal network, this
won't be a problem.)

I think you need to clarify where your machines sit in relation to your
private and public-facing networks, and how your phone connects (i.e.
what IP address it gets assigned and where from.)  Try browsing to
www.whatismyip.com on your phone to see what IP address it has been
given - whether it's assigned by your own network or the mobile provider
(Cingular?)

Steve Ingraham wrote:
> For some details, I have a RedHat AS 3 box running Bind 9.2.4 with
> qmailtoaster as a gateway for email.  This server then sends incoming
> email to two Microsoft Exchange servers where the user mailboxes reside.
> The first server runs Microsoft Server 2000 with Exchange Server 2000.
> This server is the master exchange box with an external IP address of
> 204.87.111.232.  The other Exchange server is running Exchange 2003 on a
> Windows Server 2003 system and is where this email account in question
> resides.  The IP address for this server is 172.16.254.137.  I also have
> an internal DNS server on a Windows Server 2003 computer (IP
> 172.16.254.124).

Does Exchange 2003 where the mailbox is, face the public Internet?  If
not, your phone will need some sort of route into your private network
space (such as VPN.)

> The phone is configured with port 110 setup for the incoming emails at
> mail.okcca.net.  I have tried numerous configurations to get this phone
> to receive emails again with no luck.  I have verified that the pop3
> configuration is functioning on the server by setting up a laptop
> running Windows XP with Outlook Express.  I configured OE to connect to
> pop3 using the mail.okcca.net settings.  It connects with no problem and
> I am able to send and receive emails from that computer.  My thoughts
> were that if this laptop can connect to the server using pop3
> configuration just like the Trio 650 phone everything should work.  Pop
> email works on the laptop but not on the phone.  The phone has service
> through Cingular.  I have talked with cingular support on the phone and
> they believe there is a configuration problem on the 204.87.111.225
> server.

Does your qmailtoaster machine run a POP3 service?  If so, a firewall or
router is blocking external access to port 110.

Regards,

--
Andy Shellam
NetServe Support Team

the Mail Network
"an alternative in a standardised world"

p: +44 (0) 121 288 0832/0839
m: +44 (0) 7818 000834