cannot connect

Steve Ingraham singraham at okcca.net
Fri Sep 29 13:26:28 UTC 2006

Dawn Connelly wrote:
>Ping is generally a bad connection test. It uses ICMP which most
firewalls >will
>block. A better test is to telnet on port 80. If you are a windows
person, >get
>into a cmd window and type telnet <IP Address> 80 <enter>. That gives
you a
>test using TCP over 80 which is going to more accurately reflect what
>firewalls
>holes are open.

I was unable to work on this issue until this morning (Fri, 8:00).  This
morning I ran a telnet on my workstation.  Here is the result of that
telnet:

Results for IP address 65.71.182.80
Connecting to 65.71.182.80. . .Could not open connection to the host, on
port 80:  Connection failed.

Results for IP address 204.61.6.30
Connecting to 204.61.6.30. . .Could not open connection to the host, on
port 23:  Connection failed.

Dawn Connelly wrote:
>Did you do a lookup for a workstation that can't connect? If you are
>getting DNS
>resolution at the workstation level, then most likely DNS isn't your
>problem.
>Make sure that the IP address that you are resolving matches the IP
>addresses
>you get when you test from outside your network. If they are different,
>then
>you probably have a hand jammed zone file some where. To find that
rogue >DNS
>server, do the following from a cmd window:
>nslookup <enter>
>set q=soa <enter>
>oscn.net <enter>

I did an nslookup also.  Here are the results of that look up:

I:\>Nslookup
Default Server:  occa2.occa.state.ok.us
Address:  172.16.254.124

>set q=soa
>oscn.net
Server:  occa2.occa.state.ok.us
Address:  172.16.254.124

DNS request timed out.
    Timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to occa2.occa.state.ok.us timed-out

So neither of these are working from my workstation.  However, I can now
go to the www.oscn.net website this morning.  Why would I not be able to
telnet in or see anything using nslookup but now be able to get to their
website?

I appreciate any and all assistance,
Steve Ingraham