Local resolution of some parent domain hosts

Kerney, Stephen A stephen.a.kerney at usa-spaceops.com
Thu Apr 19 20:39:51 UTC 2007

Thanks Barry, that did the trick and I'm now using 3 different .db files to locally resolving 3 different fully qualified hostnames to the desired IP
address on my "parent" domain.

Here is an example syntax to a host1.b.c.db file (based on responses from October of last year to a similar question along with a couple of "DNS and BIND"
comments thrown in for good measure).  Please correct me if I have a mistake somewhere.

	$TTL   3h
	@       IN      SOA     @ root.localhost (
                                        3      ; Serial
                                        3h      ; Refresh after 3 hours
                                        1h      ; Retry after 1 hour
                                        1w      ; Expire after 1 week
                                        1h )    ; Negative caching TTL of 1 hour

	; Name Servers

	@       IN      NS      dns_server.a.b.c

	; Addresses for the canonical names

	@       	IN	A       	10.0.1.1

Now I'd like to be able to add aliases to these .db files so I can, if possible, minimize the # of .db files supporting the b.c domain (e.g., 3 instead of
23).  I tried adding a single CNAME entry to the above .db file without success:

alias_name	IN	CNAME		host1.b.c.

I also tried this:

alias_name	IN	CNAME		@

Is adding aliases to host.b.c.db files for use in an a.b.c domain supported without creating separate db files for each alias and, if so, how is this done?

Steve