Local resolution of some parent domain hosts

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Apr 20 02:24:27 UTC 2007

In article <f08kvu$2g0f$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Kerney, Stephen A" <stephen.a.kerney at usa-spaceops.com> wrote:

> Thanks Barry, that did the trick and I'm now using 3 different .db files to
> locally resolving 3 different fully qualified hostnames to the desired IP
> address on my "parent" domain.
>
> Here is an example syntax to a host1.b.c.db file (based on responses from
> October of last year to a similar question along with a couple of "DNS and
> BIND"
> comments thrown in for good measure).  Please correct me if I have a mistake
> somewhere.
>
> 	$TTL   3h
> 	@       IN      SOA     @ root.localhost (
>                                         3      ; Serial
>                                         3h      ; Refresh after 3 hours
>                                         1h      ; Retry after 1 hour
>                                         1w      ; Expire after 1 week
>                                         1h )    ; Negative caching TTL of 1
>                                 hour
>

> 	; Name Servers
>
> 	@       IN      NS      dns_server.a.b.c
>
> 	; Addresses for the canonical names
>
> 	@       	IN	A       	10.0.1.1
>

> Now I'd like to be able to add aliases to these .db files so I can, if
> possible, minimize the # of .db files supporting the b.c domain (e.g., 3
> instead of
> 23).  I tried adding a single CNAME entry to the above .db file without
> success:
>
> alias_name	IN	CNAME		host1.b.c.
>
> I also tried this:
>
> alias_name	IN	CNAME		@
>
> Is adding aliases to host.b.c.db files for use in an a.b.c domain supported
> without creating separate db files for each alias and, if so, how is this
> done?

I'm not really sure what you're trying to do with these aliases.  The
above alias creates a name alias_name.host1.b.c that's equivalent to
host1.b.c.  If that's what you want, it should work (except for the fact
that underscores aren't allowed in hostnames).

If that's not what you're trying to do, please clarify and we should be
able to help better.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA