DNS Recognition

Andy Shellam andy-lists at networkmail.eu
Wed Dec 24 19:55:34 UTC 2008

A couple of the DNS registrars I've worked with ask you for the hostname
of your DNS nameservers first (e.g. ns1.andyshellam.eu,
ns2.andyshellam.eu,) then they work out if they're part of the same
domain name (andyshellam.eu.)  If they are, they then ask for the IP
address of the servers to create the "glue" record, which is what ties
your nameservers to your domain.

Some gTLD registrars (such as those for .net if memory serves correctly)
require your nameservers to be registered in a server registry (I think
OpenSRS or Tucows.)  Some registrars update/maintain these entries
automatically, with others you have to request it.

Andy