Is it possible to use one KSK for multiple domains?

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Thu Nov 20 13:15:47 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 09:18:01AM +0000, Niall O'Reilly wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 21:55 +0100, Adam Tkac wrote:
> > does anyone know if is it possible to sign multiple domains with one
> > KSK?
>
> 	Adam,
>
> 	I suspect your question may need to be more specific.

Right you are.

> 	Are you asking about the signing process itself, or rather
> 	about how certain aspects of this process need to be exposed
> 	in the DNS?
>
> 	The RFC-fragment you cite seems to me to require that each
> 	signed zone needs its set of [KZ]SK exposed in the DNS, but
> 	to be silent on whether a single key can be reused by appearing
> 	as RDATA in the DNSKEY RRsets of multiple zones.
>
> 	I haven't read 4033/4034 thoroughly, so it's possible I may
> 	have misunderstood completely.
>
> 	Best regards,
>
> 	Niall O'Reilly

I know people which maintains many domains so they would like to use
scenario like this:
- each zone has his own ZSK
- all ZSKs are signed with one KSK and corresponding DS is in parent
  zone

So, in theory, validation will look like:
- get myzone.tld. DS from tld.
- validate myzone.tld. DNSKEY (= validate KSK)
- validate all ZSKs with myzone.tld. KSK

If I understand correctly to section 2.1.1 of RFC 4034 then when I
want validate for example "myzone1.tld." ZSK there are only two ways:
- get myzone1.tld. DS from tld. zone
- get another myzone1.tld. key which will validate it

It isn't possible to validate myzone1.tld. with key from other zone,
for example myzone2.tld., is it?

Regards, Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.