possible noob question - @ CNAME?

Ben Croswell ben.croswell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 22:41:14 UTC 2009

You can not have a CNAME at the "domain" level.  It is against RFC to have a
CNAME and any other data at the same level of a given domain tree.
i.e. the following is illegal
www    in CNAME www.blah.com
www    in MX 10 mail.blah.com

This will cause BIND to throw the zone and not load it because it is
illegal.

If you put a CNAME at the domain level you are causing the CNAME to collide
with an SOA records, and 1 or more NS records at the very minimum.

--
-Ben Croswell