2 dns records for same server

John Wingenbach bind at wingenbach.org
Sat Aug 18 13:00:46 UTC 2012

Assuming your architecture is:

2 DNS servers which answers to external queries (public facing)
1 DNS server which only answers to internal queries (internal facing)
All internal clients configured to query the internal facing DNS server
for resolution.

Then, simply place your domain in both the external and internal
servers but having the internal one resolve with a zone file which maps
to internal IPs instead of the external IPs.

On the other hand, if you don't want to maintain the domain in both
places, then your best bet is to configure your clients to use a
searchlist of the form:  internal.<DOMAIN> <DOMAIN>

Then, you only have the internal.<DOMAIN> zone on your internal facing
server and it only houses names which should override the normal
domain's entries.

Your clients in this case would not use a fully qualified domain name.
Instead they would just use the hostname.

--John