restart named; missing TCP socket

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Dec 12 13:19:56 UTC 2012

I have had a few instances recently when named has failed to re-open its
TCP listening socket after a restart. This is particularly likely if I
try to bounce it quickly with a command line like

# rndc stop; /etc/rc.d/rc.named start

The servers in question are recursive (apart from a few local zones) with
simple ACLs. (I have had the same problem on servers with less simple
ACLs too.)

	listen-on-v6   { ::1; };
	listen-on      { 127.0.0.1; };
	allow-query    { localhost; };
	allow-transfer { localhost; };

What do others do to avoid this problem?

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.