Can we load balance traf[f]ic for CNAME records?

Manish Rane manishr78 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 09:14:51 UTC 2012

Ok - let me rephrase the question. I guess Charles got it right.

I understand that Mail Delivery load balance can be achieved by usingMX
priorities. My concern is not that, rather I am more worries about users
who will be using A record to configure their mail clients like IMAP or
POP. I am thinking on load balancing their since I want users to access the
both the ISPs to connect. I can have A/CNAME? record configured in my zone
with *lower TTL value say 180* so that if any of the link goes down I can
edit the zone and have the faulty entry removed which eventually would cost
me less downtime. That way I dont need to do any configuration at client
end since the A/CNAME record is gonna be the same.

That is why I was wondering if A or CNAME can be configured for two
different IP addresses which also holds MX Records and thus configure the
load balancing by that way?

Please advise.