Assistance with SPF Records for BIND

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sun Feb 19 04:11:14 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-02-18 at 12:34 -0500, Jonathan Vomacka wrote:

> If someone uses a mobile device to send e-mail? Would ~all be better? I

Teach them to use smtp authentication using submission (port 587 stuff)
and it doesn't matter where they come from, so long as your MTA is
configured correctly of course :)

> also generated the following SPF using a wizard. Let me know if this
> looks correct:
>
> teamwarfare.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx a:mail.teamwarfare.com
> a:mail2.teamwarfare.com ip4:66.90.73.80 ip4:216.250.250.148 ~all"

kinda overkill, you are twice declaring the same machines  AND saying
any host with an A record in teamwarfare.com (risky)
just use the IP's, and if those machines have ipv6 interfaces, add them
too,   eg   ip6:2a00:1c18:401:c00::1

> I wouldn't need an "include:" or "ptr" statement in this right? I would
> told "include:" was to include OTHER domains that are allowed to send

"include" is to include other domains SPF records, not plain other
domains.

> e-mail, but then again I see some people writing the domain again as an
> include. Also is PTR good to use or not?

PTR depends on situation, but in your case, not needed.