OT: UK Routing issue

waynemerricks waynemerricks at thevoiceasia.com
Sat Mar 16 18:52:55 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Please forgive me for posting here as its not especially Bind related.
I've noticed that some time in the last week or two routing between the
UK and India is now via the America's, Singapore, Tokyo and Bangalore.

Previously this used to hit the Euro trunk and head off to Mumbai
directly.  This adds approximately 100ms to the ping reply time (average
350ms instead of 200 - 250ms).  Curiously if I traceroute the reverse
leg (India - UK) I still go through the normal Mumbai -> Europe route.

I've tried various UK ISPs by virtue of work and home connections and
all seem to have the same problem.

As an example if I traceroute yahoo.co.in, I seem to jump all over the
place via the Americas, Korea and then finally Singapore (which I guess
is where Yahoo India are hosting).

Does anyone have any advice on who I should contact to get this looked
at?  I've already got in touch with the ISP responsible for where I work
but that was before I realised it wasn't just a strange work problem.

Any help of where to go next would be appreciated, apologies in advance
if this is not suitable for the Bind lists.

Regards,

Wayne