Is this scenario possible?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jan 9 16:26:13 UTC 2014

In article <mailman.1978.1389240374.20661.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Blason R <blason16 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> lets say I have a domain exmaple.com which is hosted out and are having MX
> records as mail01.exmaple.com and mail02.example.com and
> mail.example.comas a "A" Record for accessing mails
>
> example.com   NA   ns1.example.com
>                                ns2.example.com
>
>                  IN  MX  mail01.example.com 10
>                              mail02.example.com  20
> mail.example.com   IN  A   1.1.1.1
>

> Now I would like to create sub-domain as mail.exmaple.com and would like to
> move that inside in my network on Bind while original NS are still with
> exmaple.com.
>
> So for zone mail.example.com MX would be mail01.example.com &
> mail02.example.com and A record again same as @
>
> What glitches do you see here by creating sub-domain mail.example.com

As long as you move the above A record into the subdomain, I don't see
any problem with this.

You should also make sure you're more careful when editing your real
zone files than you have been when writing your post, there were LOTS of
typoes (NA instead of NS, exmaple for example). :)

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA