Two domains reporting errors

Stuart Browne Stuart.Browne at bomboratech.com.au
Fri Sep 26 00:23:17 UTC 2014

<snip>

> > Note that there are only relative names in my example.  This could
> > load as any zone name.  You might want to use some fully-qualified
> > names on the RHS, such as "root.covisp.net." as the SOA RNAME.
>
> Wait a second, so the zone name comes from the named.conf?

Yes.

> I could have, for all my hosted domains, a single file named something
> like hosted.conf and then simply link to it with `ln hosted.conf dw.tld`
> or ln -s, perhaps?

You could have the same file as the base, most definitely.  Sharing a zone file (even without the symbolic link) between zones with bind can be done but gets extremely messy if you ever make a change to the zone file or for one zone explicitly.

> Also, the SOA line contains ns?

The mserver reference in the SOA is treated like the rest of the records in a manually constructed zone file; if it is un-anchored, it will inherit the $ORIGIN.

> --
> 'Yes, but humans are more important than animals,' said Brutha. 'This
> is a point of view often expressed by humans,' said Om. (Small Gods)

Good Quote! :)

Stuart