dynamic zone file "style"

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Jul 8 13:30:46 UTC 2015

In message <E97FB02731BA3A43B1C6729CE198794E05328A6CF5C5 at HE113607.emea1.cds.t-i
nternal.com>, Stefan.Lasche at t-systems.com writes:
> Hi,
>
> the "named-compilezone" tool can output zone files in two different styles (u
> sing the -s option):
>     "full" (suitable for processing by a separate script)
>     "relative" (more human-readable)
>
> By default, the bind daemon uses the "relative" style (or something similar)
> when writing dynamic zone files to disk.
> Guess what... all those "$ORIGIN" lines make it more difficult to parse the f
> ile by a separate script... ;)

Truly, you don't wan't to be reading master files.  If you need the content
of the zone transfer it from the server.  Doing that you will always get
the latest content and don't have to worry about merging the journal etc.