9.11 can't validate sss.gov

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Mon Jan 22 16:50:23 UTC 2018

On 01/22/2018 09:21 AM, Warren Kumari wrote:
> http://www.sss.gov works OK, but http://sss.gov always seems to return
> "The requested service is temporarily unavailable. It is either overloaded
> or under maintenance. Please try later.".

Inconsistency between related things is annoying.

I guess props for consistently returning different things.

> There is a fair bit os disagreement over if a bare domain should resolve
> / have a web-server listening, but ISTM that if you do, you should have
> it work

I agree that this (at the very least) violates (what I consider to be)
reasonable expectation and surprises users.

I'm of the opinion that if you have www.sss.gov and sss.gov, that they
should behave in very similar and related ways.  -  My personal
preference would be for sss.gov to 30[1267] redirect to www.sss.gov.
Ideally any non-HTTPS to HTTPS.

> I wonder how many people have tried the bare domain and never realized
> that adding in the 'www' "fixes" it.

I expect that there are a lot more than we may think.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die