No more support for windows

Peter Coghlan bind at beyondthepale.ie
Fri Jun 4 18:37:32 UTC 2021

What I find ironic is that here:

https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/blob/main/README.md

the very first line says:

"BIND (Berkeley Internet Name Domain) is a complete, highly portable
implementation of the Domain Name System (DNS) protocol."

If this were truly the case, BIND would work on Windows (or any other
platform that doesn't have a "u" in it's name) with minimal effort
and would not require specific funding to adapt it to any particular
platform.

Can we please have a realistic definition of what BIND is and what
it's objectives are?

I for one would be more likely to contribute to the development of
a non-platform-specific, portable BIND than a single-platform-specific
one.

On the other hand, if it has already been decided that BIND can only
realistically be implemented in the *u* arena and will rely on
facilities only available in this arena, then shouldn't this be stated
clearly instead of also declaring that it is highly portable?

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.