Using NAT64 for IPv6 only DNS resolvers

Nico Schottelius nico.schottelius at ungleich.ch
Mon Mar 15 14:24:30 UTC 2021

Good morning,

I was wondering whether it is possible to configure IPv6 only BIND
resolvers to make use of a NAT64 prefix for outgoing requests?

I.e. the following situation:

- Resolver = 2001:db8::1, IPv6 only
- NAT64 prefix = 2001:db8:1:c001::/96

Now if bind sees example.com NS a.b.c.d, can we make bind reach out to
2001:db8:1:c001::a.b.c.d instead of trying to open up an IPv4 connection
to a.b.c.d?

This would be very helpful, as we more and more have IPv6 only hosts,
which only have access to the Internet via NAT64.

Note: this is not the same problem as enabling DNS64 for *clients*,
but very similar.

Best regards,

Nico

--
Sustainable and modern Infrastructures by ungleich.ch