multi-protocol support of queryperf

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Jul 9 17:18:25 UTC 2002

At 12:36 PM 7/9/02, Brian Wellington wrote:
>On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Danny Mayer wrote:

> modify
> otherwise.

> Windows
> > >
> > >I said libbind9, not libbind.  libbind9 is a small library that currently
> > >only contains a config file checker and a function to portably get
> > >addresses by name using either getaddrinfo() or gethostbyname().  It's not
> > >in bind 8.
> >
> > That's exactly what I said.  I'm using libbind from BIND 8, but then to add
> > libbind9 in addition would cause me all sorts of additional grief to
> get the
> > two libraries together.
>
>libbind and libbind9 are completely unrelated.

Yes, but they are in totally different code trees, libbind in BIND 8 and
libbind9 in BIND 9. I haven't built libbind on Win32.

>  Why would having both of
>them cause any difficulty?  Also, most of the binaries link against
>libbind9 (at least named, dig, host, nslookup, nsupdate, rndc, and
>named-checkconf).  If you're not building libbind9 on Win32, you're not
>building much.

I am building libbind9 on Win32. I have to. It's libbind that I'm not building
in BIND9. I'm forced to use libbind from BIND8. The libbbind library in
BIND 9 is not set up for Win32 yet, so I wouldn't even try compiling
queryperf against it.  The method that I chose was to copy queryperf
source to a BIND 8 tree and build it over there.  If I have to add libbind9
to that as well, then I have to either copy the lib/bind9 tree as well (for
the includes), change the include path list to point to a specific version
of BIND 9, and then include the libbind9.lib in the link step.  Any way
you look at it, it's messy. The best solution would be to do the work
to get libbind to build on Win32 but I have no charter right now to do so.

Danny