BIND 9.2.4 NOTIFY problem from Master

Meadows, Marty marty.meadows at hp.com
Wed Sep 22 11:48:46 UTC 2010

Following a reboot of our Master BIND server a few days ago we noticed that automatic notification to the secondary BIND servers is failing. The secondaries can be reloaded manually with an rndc reload. They will automatically refresh zone files every 4 hours as defined in the SOA record. They do not, however, receive notification from the Master ... or if they do they ignore it.

We've been studying this and are stumped. We believed we should see a "notify" string in the named query logs from/to master/secondary. We do not. We thought we might see notify info if we snooped port 53 on the master and secondaries. We do not. These BIND instances are running on Solaris 10 platforms. We've attempted to modify named.conf to force notification but that doesn't seem to help. These BIND servers are multi-homed with IP addresses on a 143.242 and a 10.1 network.

I only just subscribed to this listserv this morning. I hope this is the correct forum for this. If it is not I apologize. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Marty

Martin Meadows
Unix Server Administration
Storage Systems Administration