Adding a new Resource Record (RR) Type to BIND 9

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Wed Jan 1 19:40:05 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jan 01, 2020 at 06:55:18PM +0000, David M Walker wrote:
> There is a knowledge base that covers exactly the first part of what I want to do by adding a new RR Type
>
> https://kb.isc.org/docs/aa-01140 <https://kb.isc.org/docs/aa-01140>

Also might want to read doc/dev/rdata.md in the source directory.

> I then created account_65634.c and account_65634.h

65634 is greater than 2^16. RR type codes can only go up to 65535, and
it appears higher numbers are silently ignored when found by gen.c.
(In hindsight, that's a mistake; it should at least have printed a
warning.)

> Any suggestions on what else over and over the instructions has to be done?

I think changing the type code will be sufficient, but I'd suggest
updating the tests to include your new type as well.  Have a look at
commit 3183663dd4ae for an example.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.