[bind10-dev] commit messages

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isc.org
Wed Jan 26 06:47:33 UTC 2011

At Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:53:16 +0800,
"Likun Zhang" <zlkzhy at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Which I suspect would make it a lot easier to find all the changes for a branch
> > when doing a review (or more specific; the parent of the first commit, to
> > compare against HEAD). It might also have the nice side-effect that we can look
> > back on trac later to see for what purpose a specific change was made :)
>
> I like the idea, but can we make it automatically? When we commit the message, [trac483] can be added automatically as the prefix of the commit messages.

I'd begin with a customized commit template:

% cat ~/src/isc/git/bind10-commit.template
[tracXXX]

% git config --global commit.template ${HOME}/src/isc/git/bind10-commit.template

Then when I commit a change I'll see the [tracXXX] template on my
editor for inserting the rest of the commit message.

My next step would write an Emacs hook to auto-replace 'XXX' with the
ticket number, but maybe manual replacement is just sufficient.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.