[bind10-dev] commit messages

Michal 'vorner' Vaner michal.vaner at nic.cz
Wed Jan 26 08:53:08 UTC 2011

Hello

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 01:53:16PM +0800, Likun Zhang wrote:

> > Anyhow, if we would diligently adhere to this proposal, it would look like:
> >
> > o [trac483] some trivial style issues
> > o [trac483] cleaned up a few debug dlogs, removed an extraneous ; and added a
> > comment.
> > o [trac483] put root server ip list into recursive query object
> > o [trac483] First task of trac483
> >
> > Which I suspect would make it a lot easier to find all the changes for a branch
> > when doing a review (or more specific; the parent of the first commit, to
> > compare against HEAD). It might also have the nice side-effect that we can look
> > back on trac later to see for what purpose a specific change was made :)
>
> I like the idea, but can we make it automatically? When we commit the message, [trac483] can be added automatically as the prefix of the commit messages.

If there's .git/hooks/prepare-commit-msg executable program, it is used to
create the template commit message for you. There's a sample to start with, but
someone will have to write such hook first.

So, it is possible to have it automatically, it shouldn't be hard, but no one has
done it yet. Does anyone want to do it or should I try?

Have a nice day

--
Fragile. Do not turn umop ap1sdn!

Michal 'vorner' Vaner