Conflicts and network boot

Simon Hobson dhcp at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Mar 21 17:04:05 UTC 2006

Bruno Gola wrote:

>>If you MUST have two different servers servicing the same network,
>>then you should make sure that they will only respond to mutually
>>exclusive sets of clients. Ie, so any client, one server should be
>>set to service it, the other server should be set to ignore it. This
>>is harder said than done !

>That was the first idea, talk with the admins of the principal dhcp server
>and ask they to ignore these hosts. BUT their are using a Windows dhcp
>server, and they've said that the server dont have these feature (ignoring
>hosts). Its strange... but i dont have any access to the server.

I think they are right, the MS server is 'basic' to say the least.
Personally I think it only had two things going for it :
1) It can do signed updates with MS DNS servers (arguable as to
whether that is a benefit since their DNS server is equally 'basic').
2) It comes installed and auto-configured when someone from the
"point and click" generation set up a server with the wizzard.

>>  Finally, please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are
>>trying to use DCHP on the network without the permission (or
>>assistance) of the network administrators. IF this is the case, then
>>I strongly advise against it, as a network admin it's the sort of
>>thing I take very seriously and would have no hesitation in removing
>>(by unorthodox means* if neccessary) such offending equipment and
>>users.

>I've already talked with the network admin and he knows what i'm doing. The
>problem is that my departament (projects infrastructure or enviroment) needs
>"special features" as it's own dns server and dhcp/bootp server, i think you
>can figure out why we need it by the name of the area =)

Perhaps you should consider having your own network ?