Regarding DHCP relay agent on Linux

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Mon Feb 19 22:34:46 UTC 2007

On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 09:03:52AM +0000, Simon Hobson wrote:
> pranab bohra wrote:
> >Problem Statement - Our product ( which runs on NCGL ) has 2 LAN interfaces
> >and I am using it as a relay agent(RA). It seems that we need to enable
> >Relay Agent on both the interfaces ( Lan1 and Lan2)  for the DHCP messages
> >to pass through. The relay agent doesnt work if I enable it on only one
> >interface Lan1 (client side).
>
> This comes up with almost monotonous regularity on this list !

We're working on it, but unfortunately won't be able to start on
the new interface code until after the DHCPv6 software is out.

Happily, DHCPv6 requires only standard berkeley sockets.  No
raw packets!

But we have a plan to 'solve' this for DHCPv4, thanks to some
folks who donated their brilliant ideas on dhcp-hackers some
time ago, just no time to advance that plan.

ISC Training!  http://www.isc.org/training/  training at isc.org
Washington DC area, April 16-20 2007.  DNS & BIND, DDNS & DHCP.