DDNS updates to two master DNS servers

John Hascall john at iastate.edu
Mon Dec 1 20:30:18 UTC 2008

> Scott McCamish (Contractor) wrote:
> > Hi-  I have two peer DHCP servers successfully updating a master DNS
> > server with dynamic updates.  How can I configure the DHCP servers to
> > update a second master DNS server?

> There's no such thing (in ISC BIND) as a "second master".  You have one
> master and then a slew of slave/secondary nameservers.

Officially, anyway.  None the less, it is not an entirely unheard of
arrangement.  We do it on some of our servers (because they are managed
by an external DB system).  I'm pretty sure if the original poster
looks in the archives I've talked about mangling the code to do this
(basically, I just modified it to ignore the SOA record an update
every NS record, which is what was correct for us).

Another possible approach would be to code up a simple 'amplifier'
that you point DHCP at, and it handles forwarding the requests
to both your servers -- this would let you keep DHCP unmodified.

John