host statement...

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Mar 2 20:51:01 UTC 2009

E Johnson wrote:
>Wow you guys are great, you answered my next question even before I
>was done posting it.

Yep, the label can be whatever label makes sense for you.

>So then, as long as I have a MAC to work with, I can assign a
>"fixed-address" to whatever I want?

Yes - you can do it for any client. It's common to use it for stuff
like printers where you really want it to stay put !

The presence of a host statement (which only needs a hardware line as
a minimum) will make a client "known" - as in "allow known-clients"
etc in pools.

If there is a fixed-address statement with an address valid for the
subnet the client is physically connected to, then that will be
allocated to the client.

--
Simon Hobson