How to: Keep DHCPDISCOVER messages off the console in Solaris 11

Richard Westerveld richard.westerveld at oracle.com
Fri Mar 22 20:27:51 UTC 2019

All,

   Not real familiar (yet) with the ISC DHCP server.  In the past we
used the regular old Solaris non-ISC version.  Hopefully we'll get more
familiar with this one as time goes on.

   Have it up and running - and working, from the viewpoint of what we
use it for.  We don't use it for actually assigning leases like a
traditional use (all our clients have static IP addresses); we use it
for booting already identified clients (ie ones that have entries in
/etc/inet/dhcpd4.conf).

   The problem is we get lots of those DHCPDISCOVER/no free leases
messages continually scrolling on the console for units that haven't
been identified as ones we want to net boot (there's an application that
adds their entries to the conf file when someone wants to boot them).

   I'd like some way to either turn that particular message off; or else
direct them to some other location.

   I tried setting "unknown-clients" to ignore; but that apparently
doesn't turn off the messages.  (Note:  I *think* these requests are
coming from "unknown" clients; since I haven't found their mac addresses
in the conf file.)

   I also tried setting the dhcp server to use syslog; but that doesn't
seem to keep them from appearing on the console either.

   I'm sure *someone* at some point has tried to get rid of these same
messages; so can anyone point me to the proper place to find out how to
do it?  An example might help, too.

   Thanks.

-Richard