Failover Peer Issue with Polycom SoundStation IP 6000 Phone

glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Thu Nov 12 22:35:52 UTC 2020

In the dhcp-options man page it says dhcp-server-identifier is used as
the address for unicast replies to the server, so it is probably
important to point to the individual servers.

        option dhcp-server-identifier ip-address;

          This  option is used in DHCPOFFER and DHCPREQUEST messages, and
may optionally be included in the DHCPACK and DHCPNAK messages.  DHCP
servers include this option in the DHCPOFFER in order to allow
          the client to distinguish between lease offers.  DHCP clients
use the contents of the ´server identifier´ field as the destination
address for any DHCP messages unicast to the DHCP  server.   DHCP
          clients also indicate which of several lease offers is being
accepted by including this option in a DHCPREQUEST message.

The only use case for setting this is where you have multiple IP
addresses on the DHCP server and you want replies to come back to a
specific one, eg a private management network and the client facing
interface. This is not a failover specific setting, and in my experience
the defaults will usually have the right behaviour.

Now, down to the problem, it is obviously a bug in the firmware of these
phones. Have you checked with the vendor to see if there is an update
available before hacking around with dhcp configs? There are rather alot
of support articles onthe Polycom support website, and something there
might be of use if you haven't looked there already.

The potential issue I see is that if you set the server-identifier to
the first dhcp server, and then that server goes down, unicast replies
to the other server may not work as intended. This is something to test
out to be sure there is no adverse impact.

Perhaps setting a class that matches these particular phones and setting
the server-identifier only for the phones in question? Something like
this where you match on the vendor part of the mac address:

class "soundstation6000" {
     match if substring(hardware, 1, 4 = 1:aa:bb:cc);  # the leading 1 is
type ethernet, aa:bb:cc are the first three octets of the mac address
     server-identifier aa.aa.14.34;  # or whatever the other server's IP
address is

Glenn