ctlinnd crashes innd 2.2.1

Matthew Harrell mharrell at bittwiddlers.com
Mon Dec 13 19:25:12 UTC 1999

Hi,

I looked through the FAQs and past couples months of articles but I don't think
I saw anything that mentioned this but I could be wrong since I'm new at
playing with inn.

I recently set up inn 2.2.1 (the Redhat 6.1 RPM version) so it holds a couple
of newsgroups from an upstream server and caches mailing list articles into
local newsgroups.  Anyway, recently sometime after I upgraded from the 2.2.0
RPM to the 2.2.1 RPM I now no longer seem to be able to add or remove newsgroups
from the system.  When I try either "ctlinnd rmgroup something" or "ctlinnd
newgroup something" it kills the innd process and I can't restart it without
copying active.old onto active first.

When I edit active I notice that the final line consists entirely of control
characters and the ctlinnd command tacked the new newgroup onto the end of
the control character line.  I figure that control character thing is the
problem but innd seems to want it there.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

--
  Matthew Harrell                          You're just jealous because the
  Bit Twiddlers, Inc.                       voices only talk to me.
  mharrell at bittwiddlers.com