INEWS problem- Can anybody help me? ( INN 2.2.1)

Andrew King zakina at nzsakl.bhp.com.au
Tue Dec 14 00:21:03 UTC 1999

Help!!!

    I'm wanting to use newsgate to pass incoming mail via mail2news into
our local news server (Redhat 6.0, kernel 2.2.12, inn
    2.2.1). But I'm getting the messages "Warning Can't connect to server
-- Article will be spooled".   "Can't rename
    spool file, Invalid cross-device link." and the mail gets bounced.

    I've tracked the "Warning Can't connect to server -- Article will be
spooled" back to INEWS. I've seen the postings
    about this problem last month but there didn't appear to be anything
conclusive come from them.
    In desparation I patched inews to display  what server it's trying to
connect to which resulted in both the ToServer &
    FromServer appear to be "null". Any ideas why these should be null ?
I've set server, pathhost, domain in inn.conf. What configurable option
could I have  missed that controls this?
    Like Etienne I've had this working on an older server (Solaris 2.4) but
never under Redhat.

    Anyone know what the second message is really telling me?
    "Can't rename spool file, Invalid cross-device link." For some reason
the inews rename of the temp spoolfile is
    failing, so I can't even use rnews to send the resultant spooled files.
    I have a symlink of usr/local/spool to var/spool (var is on a different
drive to usr), but I thought INN et al would follow
    symlinks. What have I missed?

    Hope someone can help, any help would be  appreciated.
    TIA

Andrew