I've not understood moderator's work

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at xcski.com
Tue Nov 9 19:25:14 UTC 1999

Quoting antonio caravaggio (acmoz at hotmail.com):
> article on Mtest, it is mailed to moderator (that's OK), but I don' t
> understand HOW the moderator (once decided to accept the article) should put
> this by-mail-received article in Mtest. In simple words, which command(/s)
> should moderator execute to add a mail received to the group moderated by
> him?

He should add an Approved header and post it.  One convenient way of doing
that is to pipe the email message to "|inews -a me at home".

> Another thing that trouble me: If a client (allowed to post to and read
> from a moderated group ) posts an article adding the header "Approved: "
> followed by a syntactic legal (also inhexistent) mail address, his article
> is posted directly to Mtest, instead of mailing it to moderator.... what is
> wrong in configuration?

Absolutely nothing.  There is no verification on Approved headers at all -
they only have to be non-blank.  Take a look at groups like alt.hackers where
the group is moderated, but there isn't a moderator.  They do that as a
minimal bar to entry - you can only post if you've figured out how to add an
Approved header yourself.  Often times the Approved: header will contain
jokes rather than email addresses.

--
Paul Tomblin, not speaking for anybody.
SETI at Home:  Finally a *good* way to impress Jodie Foster