question on ovmmapthreshold

Katsuhiro Kondou kondou at nec.co.jp
Wed Nov 10 21:35:49 UTC 1999

In article <4.2.1.10.19991110130608.00a597e0 at pop3.callatg.com>,
	Paul Theodoropoulos <paul at atgi.net> wrote;

} That's all relatively clear, but what I'm unclear about are the
} implications of this parameter. I presume this affects reader performance?

No.  That's for some OS'es that keep larger space
(mapped address is not every 8KB) when mmap'ed.  So
there needs much VM space for groups which have
large number of articles when mmap'ing all of index
block for them.  This parameter is just to prevent
the case.

} And is the value in bytes or some other measure? Better to leave it alone,

The number of index(article).

} or attempt fine-tuning for a given system?

I think it's better to leave alone.
--
Katsuhiro Kondou