Quick questions on 2.3...

The Hermit Hacker scrappy at hub.org
Tue Oct 12 15:37:46 UTC 1999

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Dan Merillat wrote:

> I've been following with some interest the development of 2.3... is anyone
> running it on a reader box with a decent amount of load?  Anyone running
> it on a production or production-staging box?  I'm curious, since 2.2.1
> isn't fast enough on the reader side (takes too long to get xover
> information)

I'm running reasoably up to the minute code on my machine...FreeBSD
3.3-STABLE, 768Meg of RAM, several 10's of gig of  disk space, yadda
yadda...other hten the occasional 'hiccup' that  Katsuhiro fixes almost as
fast as I can report it, she's smooth, and fast.  If my server is down for
a period of time, and I restart, I've seen it go as high as 80k+ articles
incoming per hour...reader performance is absolutely fantastic even if I
go to a group with several thousand articles unread in it...

> I've heard a lot about the development of buffindexed, but I havn't seen
> anything lately about the performance aspect.... how long does it take
> to xover control.cancel? (whats the range and how many articles are
> really there?)

I have mine stored in a CNFS buffer with very low retention time, can't
help you there...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org
primary: scrappy at hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org