Draft INN FAQ posted

Elena Samsonova E.Samsonova at planetinternet.nl
Tue Oct 19 13:50:17 UTC 1999

Hans et al.,

> > I posted a draft of a new INN FAQ to news.software.nntp; you can also get
> > a copy at <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/inn.html>.  The intention
> > is for it to be similar to the old INN FAQ: specific troubleshooting help
> > and answers to frequent questions, but not much in the way of tutorial or
> > general overview (there are better formats for that sort of information).
>
> Good start ! I suggest we add a list if not-yet-answered questions to
> it, in order to make sure the documents will be a 'live' document.
>
> Also, as Elena apparently stopped with her INN2.x faq at
> http://web.inter.NL.net/users/Elena.Samsonova/unix/general/INN/v2.0/
> (document no longer found) i suggest we add it to this new document.
> Elena: where can we find the document ?

I was away from the project for a long time, that's true, but I am still
here. :)  The document has moved back in July though.  I put redirects but
for some reason they no longer work! :(  Both documents that I've done so
far (and a bunch of other things) can be found at:

http://web.inter.nl.net/users/Elena.Samsonova/unix/inn.shtml

I have some input for this FAQ, I have been receiving mail from people who
found my docs.  I was just putting it into document form today.  Russ,
do you have the POD version somewhere so that I could add my stuff to it?

> Furthermore, we should add a chapter on upgrading from one (1.4.x,
> 1.7.x, 2.0) to the current INN.

This is one thing that I'm trying to investigate now, so I should have
some input on this in a week's time.

> Also a chapter on typical initial setups will prove valuable. Like
> 'small-intranet-only' to 'minor-feed server with local groups' to
> 'maxed-out full feed' server. There are a lot of questions on how to
> setup one of these.
>
> What do you think ?

It's already written, and it does appear useful (I got comments).  See my
docs.

> Btw, as it stands now it is even a good general overview, as you
> intended it not to be ;-)

Regards
Elena