newsgroup based expiry(2.3)

Kjetil Torgrim Homme kjetilho at ifi.uio.no
Tue Oct 19 19:09:14 UTC 1999

[Hans Lambermont]

>   Katsuhiro Kondou wrote:
>
>   > I'm thinking of implementing newsgroup based expiry.  There
>   snip
>   > Does someone have another approach?  Or should we go for
>   > one of above?
>
>   We have no need for new (CNFS-based?) newsgroup based expiry as we
>   tackle this with a time-hash.

You can't do newsgroups based expiry with timehash in 2.3.  More
accurately: You need to create one timehash spool for each set of
newsgroups.  I think this is very inflexible.  You can't change the
expiry time on existing articles, since the articles will not jump
from one timehash spool to another.

>   Or do you intend to phase-out time-hash to your new solution ? If
>   so, it would be nice, and i think solution 1 is the preferable
>   one.

I think solution 2 is preferable by far.  I don't think anyone will
want newsgroup based expiry on servers without overview.

Kjetil T.