newsgroup based expiry(2.3)

Kjetil Torgrim Homme kjetilho at ifi.uio.no
Fri Oct 22 01:11:40 UTC 1999

[Olaf Titz]

>   > You can't change the
>   > expiry time on existing articles, since the articles will not jump
>   > from one timehash spool to another.
>
>   This is less of a problem with an adaptive solution which continuously
>   re-calculates expire times.

Good for you.  Not for me.  I use CNFS for hierarchies where I do best
effort, it works very well.

What happens: I am asked to lengthen the expiry time for a group
(typically mailing lists mirrored to news) since the material is used
for background in some project.  I can't just say, sorry, the
interesting stuff will be deleted next week, but the new stuff will
last for a year.  That's useless.  The alternative is to tell the
users to set up their own news server and pull over all the articles,
but that isn't very user friendly.

Perhaps creating a tool which moves articles from one storage class to
another based on the new storage.conf is a better solution, though.

Richard's problem can be solved by strengthening the
storage.conf-parser.  Or perhaps he can do some work on his
storage.conf-generator to use wildmats to alleviate the problem.

Kjetil T.