who defines Bytes header

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Dec 6 20:39:55 UTC 2000

Katsuhiro Kondou <kondou at nec.co.jp> writes:

> As I wrote before, I'm currently rewriting art.c/nc.c to
> avoid waisteful data copying.  Thinking of some cases like
> innd does not read whole article, Bytes header can be used
> to determine if extending buffer or moving data at the top
> of the buffer.  Of course, every article does not always
> have Bytes header or the content may be incorrect.  Just
> use it as an estimation.  But, I cannot find clear definition
> of it.  Does anybody know where it is?

My understanding is that it's not a header that's ever been standardized
anywhere; I wouldn't be surprised if it fell out of implementing overview
rather accidentally.  It's required information for overview, but like
lines it's generated on the fly (or should be) rather than take from any
particular header.