How do I get inn to use my cycbuff / storage ?

John Kozubik john_kozubik at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 22 10:47:35 UTC 2000

I have successfully installed and configured inn on my freeBSD server.  I
know this, because I am able to read and post, my /var filesystem is filling
up with news from my feed, etc.

Now that it is up and running, I would like to _stop_ using /var/spool/news
for the news spool, and begin using 7 hard drives that I have attached to
the system.  I have done the following:

1. created a file on each of the hard drives - I used the following command:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/daX/one bs=1k count=3700000

(where X is a number between 1 and 7 and the filename is either
one,two,thr,fou,fiv,six, or sev)

2. Added this to my cycbuff.conf file:

cycbuff:ONE:/mnt/da1/one:3700000
cycbuff:TWO:/mnt/da2/two:3700000
cycbuff:THR:/mnt/da3/thr:3700000
cycbuff:FOU:/mnt/da4/fou:3700000
cycbuff:FIV:/mnt/da5/fiv:3700000
cycbuff:SIX:/mnt/da6/six:3700000
cycbuff:SEV:/mnt/da7/sev:3700000

metacycbuff:BIGAREA:ONE,TWO,THR,FOU,FIV,SIX,SEV

3. Added this to my storage.conf file:

method cnfs {
        newsgroups: *
        class: 1
        size: 0,1000000
        expires: 0s,5d
}

So ... I restart inn with this configuration - and the good news is it
continues to work, no errors in the log - but /var keeps growing bigger and
bigger, and I see no evidence that the files I created with 'dd' are
containing any news.

So,

1. How do I get inn to use this cycbuff/storage configuration I have
created?

2. what do the different 'classes' mean in storage.conf?  As you can see, I
used '1' in the example above.  Just a guess.  Should I care?

3. Any obvious things I am doing wrong?

thanks,

John