Last call for 2.2.3 and 2.3.0

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 12 02:19:36 UTC 2000

I have no idea why all my messages to inn-workers are acquiring a blank
line at the top....

Todd Olson <tco2 at cornell.edu> writes:

> In beta-2000-06-13
> inncheck reports

> ./inncheck
> /l/S/02/inn/db/active:0: mode 644, should be 664

> Since 644 is the better choice and the INSTALL document explictly
> suggests a chmod 644 * in the db directory there is a possibility of
> confusion.

> Fix:
>   Assuming that the check should be 644 rather than the current 664
>   Then the inncheck script should be modified
>   Here are the current lines

> ##  The modes of the config files we can check.
> %modes = (
>     'active',           0664,

> the 664 would be changed to 644, as long at that does not break something.

inncheck picks up the mode for the active file from @FILEMODE@, which
defaults to 0664 for hysterical raisins.  I patched configure a long time
back to take an optional argument that lets you specify a default mode of
0644, which fixes this as well as fixing the mode for all created articles
and a bunch of other stuff.  I think 0644 makes a great deal more sense;
0664 apparently is if you want your news groupies to be diddling around in
the spool changing all the poster's names to Fluffy or something.

Maybe it's time we just say that articles will be created 0644 across the
board, or at least change the default to that?