How big of I/O's does INND do to CNFS buffers?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Jun 3 01:44:59 UTC 2000

On 24 May 2000, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Yup, unless you use the SEQUENTIAL flag, in which case one cycbuff is used
> until it's full and then INN moves on to the next one.  (If you have the
> spool spread across a bunch of spindles, you generally don't want
> SEQUENTIAL; it's mostly useful for a bunch of smaller cycbuffs on one
> physical spindle.)

I guess. Mainly I find it's useful when you have to use cycbuffs of
different sizes for various reasons, like use what hardware you can find
around. If you don't the daemon will roll the small cycbuffs over madly,
while use of SEQUENTIAL will increase retention uniformly (and performance
will be less).

Useful for a system with few reads and desired longer retention.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc