Arrgh! latest innfeed crashes like heck!

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 8 10:09:28 UTC 2000

Sven Paulus <sven at tin.org> writes:

> Sounds reasonable. Maybe we should add a compile time variable
> "MAXMSGIDSIZE" which specifies the maximum length of Message-ID header
> we accept and redistribute (for innd and innfeed, double security is
> better security and the strlen() is cheap). The default setting is
> 250. People who want to comply older standards which allow longer IDs
> can increase the value on their own risk.

Thanks!  I've committed a form of this patch, using 497 as the upper limit
since that's what the NNTP standards say.  We can decrease that if we need
to for interoperability with other servers.

497 we can impose as a limit without worrying about allowing it to be
configured, since that limit is imposed by the standard.  I therefore
didn't bother making it configureable.

I've not specifically tested this code except by inspection; let me know
if anything odd happens.