Testing needed for the new date routines

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 14 00:18:38 UTC 2000

Heath Kehoe <heath.kehoe at intermec.com> writes:

> HP/UX does not have 'altzone', it has 'daylight' instead.  So in
> date.c I put in:

> #ifdef _HPUX_SOURCE
> #define altzone daylight
> #endif

> after the #includes.

The code expects altzone to contain the second offset from UTC for the
alternate local timezone, though, and at least on HP-UX 11.00 (I just
tested there) daylight is set to 1 or 0 depending on whether there is a
local daylight savings time.

This is a really broken design on HP-UX's part; there doesn't appear to be
any way of getting the offset for the alternate time zone directly.  Ick.

I'm going to modify the configure probe for timezone to make sure that
altzone is also present, and on those systems where it isn't, we'll fall
back on calculating the difference between the localtime and gmtime return
instead.  That's fast enough, given that this code is only called when
local posts are made.