Can't expire, INN 2.3, AIX 4.3.3, largefiles

Nicholas Geovanis nickgeo at merle.acns.nwu.edu
Wed Jun 14 15:26:53 UTC 2000

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Bill Davidsen wrote:

>   I am having a problem with expire using inn2.3 05/09/2000 release. I
> keep getting a "Can't malloc 79063650 bytes: Not enough space" message
> when expire runs, or actually doesn't run.
>
> The db directory looks like:
<snip>
> and the O/S is AIX 4.3.3 using large file support. I don't think that
> matters, the history file is less than 2GB anyway.
>
>   Any thoughts, known bugs, ideas?

Suggestion:
You didn't mention which compiler you're using. If you're using IBM's you
may need to make sure that the "-bmaxdata" compiler option is turned on.
There may be another compiler flag or two to check; see Chapter 8, "Large
Program Support" in the "General Programming Concepts" manual. Also check
that the AIX user limits on data segment size are high enough (or
unrestricted) in /etc/security/user.

If you're using gcc, I don't know how it handles Power architecture memory
segmentation. It's kind of like the old MS-DOS compiler flags for memory
model, just with only two models, normal and really big (at least the
segments are big: 256MB :-).

V n-geovanis at nwu.edu         - "Davis's Law" (Tom Davis, SGI)