INN under Linux..

Miquel van Smoorenburg list-inn-workers at news.cistron.nl
Mon Apr 30 00:00:39 UTC 2001

In article <20010429221026.A5902 at opentransit.net>,
Fabien Tassin  <fta at sofaraway.org> wrote:

>According to Miquel van Smoorenburg:
>
>> >Anyone running INN 2.4-CURRENT under Linux with largefile (for CNFS)
>> >and himem (>> 1GB) with or without SMP ?
>>
>> I've considered it, but was afraid it wouldn't be stable enough.
>> Seems I was right ;)
>
>the problem is not INN but the kernel. 2.4 kernels have a lot of (known)
>problems with memory management under stressed boxes.

Yes, I meant the 2.4 kernel, not INN-2.4-CURRENT. The latter one
I _am_ running on one of our servers, and that works fine (after
Katsuhiro sorted out the negative overview index problem).

% telnet news2.cistron.nl nntp
200 news2.cistron.nl InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.0 (20010409 CVS prerelease) ready (posting ok).

Wrt Linux 2.4, I follow the kernel mailinglist closely, and I don't
think all issues in 2.4 have been sorted yet. I at least am going to
wait a few more patchlevels (say 2.4.9) before deploying it on a loaded
production server.

I do run some simple boxes like ftp servers on 2.4.x, but those don't
do much I/O and are simple uniprocessor boxes with not a lot of memory.

Mike.

Reply to the list or to miquels at cistron-office.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)